Sunday Saves: 5 Easy Meals to Prep Before Leaving Town
In less than 24 hours I will be on an airplane to Colombia, and I cannot wait. But before I leave, I’ve spent a fair amount of time getting ready, an exit strategy if you will. My family will survive just fine without me, but if I can create some peace of mind and plan ahead for them, reduce the stress, we all win. I am sharing a few meal-planning tips that have worked well for me.
1. Research quick + easy meals that freeze well, or use a few family favorites.
2. Give yourself a few weekends in advance to prep. I made 2-3 meals each weekend for the past 2 weekends, with a total of 5 meals set aside in the freezer.
3. Label the food, use tin foil to cover each prepared dish with instructions clearly written on the top in a black sharpie, for example: vegetarian lasagna, preheat oven 375 degrees, bake 45 min, uncover and bake another 10 min.
4. Invest in a small deep freezer, we spent $150 or so on one a few years ago. We don’t use it often, mostly ice cream in the summer, but it works for travel and meal prep.
4. Don’t overthink it, the fewer ingredients the better.
Here are the meals I made in advance:
Vegetarian Lasagna, I’ve attached to my very own recipe I’ve been using for 20+ years. Still a family favorite.
Tator Tot Hotdish, a long-time favorite.
Spinach Banana Pancakes, are easy breakfast options.
Easy enough, I’ve even considered doing this once a month moving forward. Our kids are getting old enough, this becomes an easy dinner option they can reheat and eat.
What I am Packing for Colombia
Headed to the beach soon? Take a look at a few of my favorite finds for the season.
What’s Ahead for Jkath
While we’re busy delivering #drewave to our clients this month, we’re kicking off three new projects. These are all a bit smaller in scale but creatively charged nonetheless with some really fun materials and new selections we are eager to share.
Westbrook Road has us back out to complete a master bath renovation and an entire lower-level update which includes a full bathroom as well.
Hale House is a full attic renovation in South Minneapolis. These clients came to us via Instagram, a lovely young family that is already trusting the process. We have a fun project with this one and our friends at Jeffrey Court, hush for now.
Princeton Ave is a full kitchen remodel and powder bath update. There will be some structural work in this space and refinishing of the entire main living floors. Beautiful colonial in MacGroveland, St. Paul.
Take a look at recently finished projects we think you’ll love:
As a disclosure, this post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of them, we may receive a small commission (for which we are very grateful) at no extra cost to you.